Sunday, July 8, 2012

Grandpa's Profundities



pro·fun·di·ty

[pruh-fuhn-di-tee]
noun, plural pro·fun·di·ties.


1.  The quality or state of being profound depth.
2.  Usually, profundities. profound  or deep matters.
3.  A profoundly deep place; abyss.
                                          - Dictionary.com

Through the years I have posted in my office a list of "Grandpa's Profundities."  They have grown from my interaction with teens living in the house and my observation of their interaction with others.  Here are all six profundities, totally free of charge, with comments on their origin and effects (if any).

1.  The quickest, surest, most permanent way to stop a war is immediate. total surrender.

Comment: This one was aimed at ending ongoing hostilities between a teen and an adult, with the responsibility for action being placed on the teen.  It was a total failure.  I learned too late that the teen had no interest in ending the war.

2.  The only cure for anger is forgiveness.

Comment:  This or something else, perhaps a little old fashioned growing up, seems to have done a  lot of good.

3.  Boredom is a character flaw.

Comment:  This one is my favorite.  I have very seldom heard a complaint that "I am bored" since posting it, and on the few occasions it has slipped from a mouth, a quick "See profundity #3" has ended the discussion.  There is now a new generation of grandchildren in the house and it seems to be having an effect on them as well.

4.  The value of a good night's sleep far outweighs the worth of whatever else you might be thinking of doing.

Comment:  The jury is still out on this one.  It has had no noticeable effect so far, but I am still hopeful that one day...

5.  Always drive as if everyone else on the road were stark raving mad and were about to do the dumbest thing you can possibly imagine.

Comment:  To measure this one would be to measure a negative.  That is, trying to count accidents that did not occur.  I guess I'll just have to trust on this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment