Monday, May 25, 2020

Scars

 Diane sent me these notes. She says "It took a quarantine to get me to the bottom of my to-do pile." And "Dave, I found some notes I took at the Eagan Church of Christ Retreat back in 2016.  Thought you would like to read them, because they are about you.  :)"

Here they are:

Mosaic Memoirs (about Dave May’s scars)

Dave has a scar on his left hand between his thumb and pointer finger.  I asked him about it in 2016 and this is what he told me.

“I was in the Marine Core Officer Training School.  It was in Quantico and I was about 22 years old.  We were doing war games.  I got in a hand-to-hand situation with a guy from the other team. And like an idiot, I was trying to take his rifle away from him and grabbed the wrong end.  He fired it.  It was a blank.”

As for the scar on his left inside wrist, he told me the following story.

“I was six or seven.  I had a glass in my hand and I fell.  I dropped the glass and Cecil got in trouble for that.  That’s what I remember about that.”

“You wanna hear about the scar on my butt?”

“I think I was younger than (pause) ten?  Joan Lyon was my best friend.  She had long red hair and we rode our bicycles around together.  There was a park south of Memphis with an elevated railroad track at the top of the hill.  We slid down the hill on our butts and when I got to the bottom of the hill I realized there was a tear in the jeans and my butt.”

Recorded by Diane May 

No comments:

Post a Comment