Saturday, October 26, 2019

More On Mild Cognitive Impairment


Monday, I wrote about being diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment. They said it could be a precursor to dementia but that is not necessarily the case. When they retest me next Spring, they will have a better fix on that question. I am a little nervous about that issue. If it moves into full dementia, what might I do that will embarrass myself or my family? But there is nothing I can do about it, so I plow on.

In the meantime, I am compensating in several ways. I rely heavily (perhaps too heavily) on Charlene’s memory to ease me out of awkward situations. And I have become meticulous about my calendar. I may refer to it several times a day to be sure I don’t forget anything. Sometimes something sneaks up on me, anyway, serving as an incentive to check it more often.

I keep lists. Everything I know of that I need to attend to is on one of several lists on my phone. There is the “Projects” list and the “Today” list. The word “Today” is used very broadly, meaning soon. And there are lists related to various projects I am working on with lists of things done and things still needed.

So far, I am coping. The docs advise staying active. Check. Exercising. Check. Playing games that stimulate your mind. Check. I go up the stairs in our building once or twice a day. That’s 95 stairs each way, and I am now working on speed. Charlene and I play a game almost every meal.

I am preaching at the Roseville church this Sunday and am trying to find people to fill the pulpit there each of the five Sundays in December. One difference there is that I have written out the entire sermon for Sunday rather than just notes to jog my memory. A note that would have been enough for several minutes of dialog now sometimes doesn’t give me a clue of what I had in mind.

And I have renewed this blog and am planning to rewrite my first two books combining them into one and republishing them. I will keep you posted on those efforts and the progress of the Mild Cognitive Impairment. Who will win the battle?

No comments:

Post a Comment