Saturday, February 23, 2019

Petit Four


Petit Four is French for "small oven," but it is also the name of a "bite sized" confectionery. Actually it is more like three bites. This afternoon I drove Charlene to her hair appointment in Hastings and on the way home we stopped at Emily's Bakery. She picked up six Petit Four's she had ordered for me. Every time we go to Hastings she calls to see if Emily's has any Petit Fours. Usually they don't, but today they did. They don't stock them, but they occasionally get an order for them and always make a few extra.

My history with Petit Fours goes back to the 1950's. I was in high school and working down town in the same office where my mother worked. I passed the Federal Bake Shop twice each afternoon going to and from the bus stop to work and they always had Petit Fours. I dearly loved them and still do. I got one nearly every afternoon. They are super sweet. Charlene and I split one as soon as we got home and it immediately took me back to Madison Avenue in Downtown Memphis of a warm spring day. It's funny how a flavor or smell can bring back old memories. My life is full of good memories - fun times and pleasant experiences.

I like to say "God has been good to me" because He really has. It is amazing to me how many good things happen every day. But I know he hasn't really promised that we will have it easy here. In fact He promised trouble (John 16:33). But he did promise us peace. We know more then one person who is not only chronically ill, but is taking care of someone even sicker. And I think about those thirteen children who were just discovered so severely abused and were kept in cages in California. And about the people in the middle of all the countries with civil wars raging around them. And all I can say is "thank you, Lord" and pray for the  people who need His help, and try to help the few I can as I move through the world each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment